Predator 4 in Development
Anyone that knows me know that I have a bit a soft spot for the Predator franchise (same goes for Alien and Terminator), so the latest news regarding a new Predator movie immediately filled me with both excitement and fear (thanks to AvP). The most recent addition to the frachise, 2010's Predators was very underrated and the best Predator film since the original. Hearing that the vision by Robert Rodriguez will now be made cannon by Predator 4 is a shame, the hunting ground story line was something different to the series and did a solid job moving the universe forward.
At present details are fairly slim regarding P4 but here are five things we do know about the project.
1. The movie is being written and directed by Shane Black, who wrote the Lethal Weapon films and directed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and a little known indie film called Iron Man 3. He also played "Hawkins" in the original Predator and was the first to be killed off.
2. Fred Dekker's creative relationship with Black goes all the way back to his cult 1987 horror film The Monster Squad, which Black co-wrote.
3. Black has described the film as an "inventive sequel" rather than a reboot, telling Collider that he liked “the idea of expanding and exploring the existing Predator mythology, rather than hitting the restart button.”
4. Producer John Davis promises a wholly unique twist on the franchise, telling Collider: "...the writing is so fresh, the perspective is so fresh. I’m telling you you’re going to get something you don’t expect and you’re going to say, ‘This is the most entertaining way to reinvent a franchise.’"
5. None of the cast from 2009's "Predators" (Adrien Brody, Danny Trejo, Alice Braga, Walton Goggins, Laurence Fishburne, et al.) are involved at this time -- nor is Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose starpower helped make the 1987 original a box-office hit. Rodriguez is also not involved.
I will be keeping my anticipation at a lukewarm level until further light is shed but knowing Black's credentials and the expected scope of the film it should hopefully lead to the Predator sequel we have all been waiting for since 1987.